Turning Point: The Center for Hope and Healing
A New Path: Living with Advanced-Stage Cancer
Turning Point: The Center for Hope and Healing and The MetaCancer Foundation partnered to create an innovative program to address the unique psychosocial issues of living with advanced-stage cancers. The MetaCancer Foundation granted $30,000 to Turning Point and was matched by the Kansas City-based non-profit organization and facility to reach out and improve the lives of those affected by advanced-stage cancer.
Specifically the program:
- Provided support groups for survivors and caregivers titled “Wellness and Relaxation for Advanced-Stage Cancer.”
- Provided a series of Advanced-Stage Cancer workshops with themes such as CohesionBuilding, Managing Fear and Anxiety, Social and Family Relationships, Spirituality and End of-Life Issues, and Goal Setting for the Future.
- Provided individual counseling for survivors and caregivers confronting the psychosocial issues unique to advanced-stage cancer.
- Provided educational programs that will be valuable to individuals with advanced-stage cancer and their supporters, such as:
- Nutritional Issues and “End of Life” Care – helping people understand diminishing nutritional needs as the end of life nears and needs shift to comfort care
- Anticipatory Grief – helping participants:
- Learn to confront life challenges
- Grieve over the loss of roles and physical limitations
- Learn how to thrive with advanced stage illness, and
- Feel as good as possible.
View the “Living Your Questions Now” gallery
Read the Press Release announcing the Turning Point program.
Visit our Press Room for more MetaCancer news.
About Turning Point
Turning Point: The Center for Hope and Healing is a Kansas City non-profit organization and facility that recognized that families facing a diagnosis of cancer and other serious or chronic illness are challenged with long and often fruitless searches for complementary therapies, support networks, and assistance in assembling and working with a health care team.
Officially established as a 501(C)(3) nonprofit organization on March 21, 2001, Turning Point’s genesis began more than a decade earlier with the work of Dr. Moira Mulhern. Dr. Mulhern had a vision to create a gathering place which would serve as a community resource for hope and healing. It is the only organization in the Kansas City area that provides innovative education and comprehensive support services to enhance the lives of adults and families living with cancer and any other serious or chronic illness.
Thanks to the generosity of the community, Turning Point’s meaningful programs are able to be offered free of charge, with donations being appreciated. More information on Turning Point can be found at: www.turningpointkc.org.
Elizabeth Anne Prostic Room Dedication, Turning Point, Nov. 25, 2006